Sunday, June 29, 2008

STANDARD TIME

Cassandra, I overheard a few months back someone say it seems almost impossible nowadays for musicians and bands to produce a quality album. I agreed with that outlook before I heard your new album for Blue Note Loverly,

I took to this album immediately. It is the first new album l've listened to this year that excited me. You transformed the standards Caravan, The Very Thought of You, and Sleepin’ Bee into grown up lullabies.

I was sold on Loverly after listening to Black Orpheus. Like your foremothers vocalists Abbey Lincoln and the late Betty Carter.

However, I must say it would've nearly impossible to make a bad album with pianist Jason Moran, bassist Lonnie Plaxico, and drummer Reginald Veal backing you. Cassandra you are a vocalist hypnotist.

The next time I overhear someone saying musicians and band are in a slump. I will suggest they listen to Loverly.

No comments: