Thursday, April 15, 2010

COMING OUT PARTY

Fabizio, I have to apologize for taking so long to review your new album "Inner Dance". I had it for nearly a month now, and I've listened to it twice. I wanted to experience it a few more times because I never trust my first impression. I promised Paul Sipio, a publicist for DL Media, I'd comment on "Inner Dance" and the new album by the Hot Club of Detroit in due time. I admit that I've been dragging my feet.

Yesterday, Sipio let me know the E1 Entertainment has been hounding him for reviews of your album. Last night, I planned to watch a rerun of Law and Order. Instead, I listened to "Inner Dance". The album is a winner. Fabizio, in my career as a jazz journalist and a jazz blogger, I've listened to many jazz guitarists. By far, you’re the most elegant. To back up that statement, I'd recommend people listen to "Brief Talk" and "Amancecer". Both selections feature vocalist Claudia Acuna.

On the album, you paid homage to two jazz saints organist Jimmie Smith and guitarist Wes Montgomery. I assume that Montgomery was one of your chief influences. I hear a lot of him in your playing, especially on slow tempo selections "Blue Whisper" and "Amancecer". Fabizio, you're ambidextrous guitarist, but your forte is ballads, which this album has plenty of. Your fingers cried while you strum your guitar strings. On the title cut, "inner Dance" and” you showed you have a daredevil streak as well, strumming away like a maniac on Mr. T.M.

"Inner Dance" works as a tribute album because you and organist Sam Barsh didn't attempt to copy Montgomery and Smith's style. You have your own manner. You relied on it, and it paid off. Barsh was reserved throughout. His skills are equal to yours. He never once tried to upstage you. Some organists can be mavericks if you let them. On "I Thought So" and "Last Chance," Barsh was the consummate professional. If memory serves me, Fabizio, "Inner Dance," is your coming out party for E1 Entertainment. Signing you was a smart investment.

No comments: