Wednesday, January 21, 2009

HITTING AFTER THE BELL

Drummer Leonard KingLeonard King accepted the truce I proposed, which will end what turned into a frivolous exchange of dissenting opinions. I never bulked and neither did King. Before, he consented, however, King took one last potshot. He called me a coward because I never introduced myself to him before I wrote a thumbs down review of the Lyman Woodard album release party, which King organized and hogged the spotlight. My review touch a nerve, and and King lashed out. He banned me from any of his concerts. He implied I'm a charlatan, and I'm unqualified to critique his work. I decided not to post or response to his last comment. But, after mulling over my decision for two days, I changed my mind. I posted his sarcastic comment, and I wrote a response. I promise my reader's this will be our last exchange.

HELLO CHARLES,

YOU MISSED MY SUGGESTIONS OF YOUR BEING A WRESTLER OR A POLICE OFFICER IN ONE OF MY EARLIER POSTS. YOU KNOW...A PERSON WHO LOVES TO MESS WITH PEOPLE. AS FOR JUMPING OFF THE STAGE AFTER YOU? VISIONS OF GRANDEUR, CHARLES. TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND RELAX--IF YOU CAN. I'LL ACCEPT THE TRUCE. SINCE YOU WERE TOO COWARDLY TO IDENTIFY YOURSELF TO ME YEARS AGO BEFORE POSTING ANY 'BLOGNIFICANT' MEANDERINGS, WE CAN KEEP IT THAT WAY. YOU'LL PROBABLY HAVE TO HAVE THE LAST RESPONSE AFTER READING THIS--SO BE IT. AND REMEMBER--DON'T YOU EVER MENTION MY NAME IN ANYTHING AGAIN!

Leonard-

This is my final reply. Yes, I feel it’s necessary I have the last word. My readers are fed up with our juvenile bickering. They want me to move on, and deal with more pressing matters. I have trombonist Clifford Anderson's new album "Decade," saxophonist Benny Golson's album "New Time New' tet," and the "Blue Note 7" new release. My readers are anxious for my commentary. Soon I will have to explain why I engaged in a frivolous argument. Before I replied to your first email, I asked my editor if I do so. He said to ignore you, but I replied anyway, and I squandered a lot of time. Time I could've used reviewing the stack of new albums I received last week.

When I read your latest comment, calling me a coward, I decided to ignore it. You love hitting me after the bell. If our exchange continued you’d keep hitting below the belt. There several things you should discontinue immediately.

First, stop sending nasty emails to jazz critics before you’ve proofread the emails. Emails fraught with typos and misspelled words make you like look a dummy. Secondly, stop calling jazz critics who dislike some of your music cowards, and bastards. Name calling is childish. I'm curious, do you actually have a PhD; are you really a professor; or are you a self-anointed PhD? Do you know where I can go to verify your credentials?

Lastly, stop picking on jazz historians Ira Gitler and Joe Goldberg. I have old issues of Down Beat and Metronome. The issues I have were published in the early 50's and the late the 60's. Neither historian wrote one negative sentence or paragraph about the jazz musicians they covered. If you believe I misread Gitler and Goldberg work, when you have some spare time stop by my house. I'll spread the magazines and their books out so you can show me in what issues they disparaged jazz musicians.

Charles
Post a Comment