Sunday, December 28, 2008

TAKE FIVE 2008

Vocalist Cassandra WilsonThe end of the 2008 is near. It is time for my top five jazz albums of 2008. I started the annual list last year. The list had the top five albums I purchased, which included new albums and reissues. This time around, my list only has new albums released in 2008 that I either received or purchased. I replayed the albums repeatedly, and I recommended to the readers of I Dig Jazz.

1.) Cassandra Wilson

Loverly-Blue Note Records

Wilson consistently delivers music that is warm and comfortable.

2.) Bill Cunliffe
Blues and the Abstract Truth Take 2-Resonance Records

This was the first time I experienced pianist Bill Cunliffe. I enjoyed every inches of this albums, which is a remake of saxophonist Oliver Nelson’s classic album for Impulse Records. Take 2 works because Cunliffe did not attempt to emulate the way Nelson made the original.

3.) Sonny Rollins
Road Shows Vol.1-Doxy Records

Rollins wrote the rulebook on improvisation. Live is the best context to experience the tenor saxophonist. If you only have Rollin’s studio recordings, and you want to hear his live material the Road Shows Vol. 1 is a sufficient primer.

4.) The Hot Club of Detroit
Night Town- Mack Avenue Records

The second album by the Detroit based Gypsy jazz band sound as if Django Reinhardt spirit was present during the making of this album. Night Town is that good.

5,) organissimo
Groovadelphia-Big O Records

The Lansing, Michigan based trio’s third album swings from track one to track nine

No comments: